- I will respect and recognize the variety of calls to ministry among my colleagues and other Christians.
This covenant is a great reminder of the creativeness of our God. He has called lots of pastors, but no two do their work in the same way. We are all unique individuals and have the freedom to work in the way God has called, created, and gifted us. It is a reminder to me that I have the freedom to be a pastor in the way God is leading me. There’s no one out there who I have to compare myself to or measure up to. I simply have to minister in the way God has called me.
- I will seek to support all colleagues in ministry by building constructive relationships wherever I serve, both with the staff where I work and with colleagues in neighboring churches.
This one is fun for me. I love being part of a ministry team. I have enjoyed building relationships with pastors and others in ministry in Livingston. I look forward to more and deeper relationships. I enjoy being on a team with my dad. One of the most difficult adjustments I had when I moved back to Livingston was the feeling that I was doing a lot alone. I don’t have that feeling quite as often any more. More and more we are developing a team mentality in our ministries. Our Diaconate board is an excellent team of people who I thoroughly enjoy working with as we focus on the spiritual condition of our church. Our Trustees have also joined in on the team effort to improve the building and have done so many things to help me personally and as a pastor. Melissa Chase and I are the team of people who get the privilege of working with our youth. Sally Bandstra is my teammate for our Jr. High kids. Everybody on the worship team and our tech team guys are part of the team that makes Sunday mornings such a meaningful worship experience. So many other people in our church are my prayer team members, encouragers, supporters, and loyal friends. It takes time to build these kinds of teams, but we have been given that gift and it is happening in a wonderful way.