- I will maintain a disciplined ministry in such ways as keeping hours of prayer and devotion, endeavoring to maintain wholesome family relationships, sexual integrity, financial responsibility, regularly engaging in educational and recreational activities for professional and personal development. I will seek to maintain good health habits.
I think the thing I like the most about this covenant is that some things we would normally assume are taken care of by a pastor are explicit and in writing. It takes the assumption out and adds another level of accountability for me. It also puts in public what I expect of myself and what my congregation expect of me. It might also put some things out there that maybe some people would not find as important for a pastor. Regular engagement in recreational activities and maintaining good health habits are very important for a pastor and for every person. I’m not sure every pastor or people in the congregation think about these as being something pastors need to be doing. So it is nice to have these things in writing. I’m certainly not perfect at any of these things, but the covenant itself is a great reminder of the things I need to keep in perspective as a pastor.