For my blog I have been examining the Pastor’s Code of Ethics and Covenant. Every profession has some ethical standards, but those of a pastor are necessarily different. We have examined the preamble and the first eight covenants. You can see them by clicking one of the links listed on the right side of this page.
After taking a couple weeks off for Christmas it is a good time to finish the Pastor’s Code of Ethics and Covenant. You can look at previous blogs to read more about the Code of Ethics and Covenant. Below are the final two covenants
- I will not proselytize from other Christian churches.
This is a great part of the Code of Ethics and Covenant. And it is important. There is a real temptation for pastors to proselytize from other Christian churches. One of the things I am most proud of in our church is that many of the people who are coming haven’t been part of another church. When we think about church growth we should think about kingdom growth. If someone transfers from one church to another, there is no kingdom growth. In fact, there is probably some loss in that kind of a transfer. But when someone starts coming to church and they have not been coming before, that is kingdom growth. It is my prayer that we will continue to see more of that kind of growth in our church.
- I will show my personal love for God as revealed in Jesus Christ in my life and ministry as I strive together with my colleagues to preserve the dignity, maintain the discipline, and promote the integrity of the vocation to which we have been called.
I like being a pastor. I have known many good preachers and they have had a positive influence on my life. I am proud of this profession. I know some pastors have done things that have hurt our profession ultimately the name of Christ. It is my commitment to do all that I can to help those around me know a pastor as someone who they can trust.